This farm was founded in 1848, with the first residents considering themselves to be buidling on public land (commons), but the pastor at Hof disagreed. He filed a drawn-out lawsuit which the new farmers lost, and the land reverted to the church at Hof. The settlers at Melur were Steinunn, daughter of Torfi Torfason, Arnkelsgerði; and Jón, a son of Guðmundur, whose family hailed from Mývatn. Melur was occupied until 1904, excluding only a few uninhabited years. The farm is now the site of a sheep herders ́shelter.